Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Assignment: A Pocket for Corduroy

My favorite childhood book was A Pocket for Corduroy by Don Freeman. I had trouble with reading when I was in elementary school so I wouldn’t read many books. The ones I had to read, I don’t remember anything about them. I remember choosing to read this book in first grade. I could relate to it because it was about a little girl who was looking for her adventurous bear. I liked to carry around either my plush seal or my doll, Kelly. I would get upset whenever I lost them. I totally understood how Lisa felt when Corduroy was missing. A Pocket for Corduroy is a good story for kids with nice illustrations.

Even though I no longer have trouble reading, I still don’t pick up a book unless I have to. However, I don’t want the children I teach to feel that way about reading. I always try to make reading fun by bringing in new books, finding books with added features such as textures or scents, having discussions about books so that the children can relate them to their own lives and finding books with subjects that the kids are interested in. For the most part, all the children that I’ve worked with love books. A lot of them will ask for a second story after we finish the first one. Reading is one of the most important skills a child will ever learn so I want to encourage a love of reading or at least the confidence in themselves so they can read when they are ready.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I can relate to this post because even though I don't have trouble reading I find it hard to make myself read an "adult book". I have tried harder in the last few months though and I believe I just have to really search to find something I enjoy. As for my students, they love books and I love reading books to them. As long as they enjoy being read to I will continue to read, read, read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them all and I appreciate each one. I often reply to comments so feel free to check back for a response.

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates