Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Assignment: Child Development

I chose the following resources to demonstrate important concepts and skills within the field of child development.
Here’s a video demonstrating the beginnings of social development for babies. Even babies can have buddies. Babies become interested in each other and learn to imitate.

The following story demonstrates the beginnings of developing empathy in infants. This link also includes extra resources. Developing empathy is important because children who are kind to others feel better about themselves.
An Act of Infant Kindness
I found this poem about play; the building block of child development. Play is how children learn skills from each developmental domain. The poem shows physical, cognitive and social skills. Play is enjoyable to children, but it also prepares them to be successful in the future.
When I am building with the blocks please don't say I'm "just playing".
For you see, I'm learning as I play, about balance and shapes.
Who knows, I may be an architect someday.
When I'm getting all dressed up, setting the table, caring for the babies, don't get the idea I'm "just playing".
For, you see, I'm learning as I play;
I may be a mother or a father someday.
When you see me up to my elbows in paint or standing at an easel, or molding and shaping clay, please don't let me hear you say, "He is just playing".
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I'm expressing myself and being creative.
I may be an artist or an inventor someday.
When you see me sitting in a chair "reading" to an imaginary audience, please don't laugh and think I'm "just playing".
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be a teacher someday.
When you see me combing the bushes for bugs, or packing my pockets with choice things I find, don't pass it off as "just play".
For you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be a scientist someday.
When you see me engrossed in a puzzle or some "plaything" at my school, please don't feel the time is wasted in "play".
For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to solve problems and concentrate.
I may be in business someday.
When you see me cooking or tasting foods please don't think that because I enjoy it, it is "just play".
I'm learning to follow direction and see differences.
I may be a cook someday.
When you see me learning to skip, hop, run and move my body, please don't say I'm "just playing".
For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning how my body works.
I may be a doctor, nurse or athlete someday.
When you ask me what I've done at school today, and I say, "I just played", please don't misunderstand me.
For you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to enjoy and be successful in my work.
I'm preparing for tomorrow.
Today, I am a child and my work is play.
Author unknown.
I found it here.
There are so many resources I could choose from and it was hard to narrow it down to three, but I picked pieces of child development that are interesting to me.

2 comments:

  1. Darcey, Would you mind if I copied this poem and took it to class for my co-workers. It is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. If you go to my blog I am posting a picture of one of my girls today "playing with tan grams". She is learning so fast.
    Thank you for sharing this poem and all the other information you have posted during this course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your insightful posts and information. Good luck in your future classes! I know you are destined for great things in our profession. :)
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I read them all and I appreciate each one. I often reply to comments so feel free to check back for a response.

 
Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates